Curd Rice is a very simple and refreshing South Indian preparation. South Indians always eat a little bit of Curd Rice at the end of each meal. It soothes the stomach.
|Preparation Time:||10 minutes|
|Steamed Basmati Rice||1 cup|
|Plain Curd||1 cup|
|Vegetable Oil||1 tsp|
|Mustard Seeds||1/2 tsp|
|Dhuli Urad Dal||1/2 tsp|
|Chana Dal||1/2 tsp|
|Ginger||1 tsp grated|
- Chop green chillies finely and keep aside.
- Wash and chop cucumber finely. If the skin of the cucumber is soft you don’t need to peel it otherwise peel it lightly.
- Wash, scrape and then grate carrot coarsely.
- Scrape the ginger root, wash and then grate finely.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan. Add mustard seeds and cover the pan. Wait till they stop popping.
- Add urad dal, chana dal, kari leaves, green chillies, ginger and saute for a few seconds. Turn off the heat.
- In a big bowl add steamed rice, grated carrots, chopped cucumber, salt and the mustard seeds tempering.
- Mix well and let it sit for a few minutes. Curd Rice is ready to eat.
- If you don’t like hard dal grains, soak them in water for 30 minutes and then use them in this recipe.
- For best results, steamed rice should be warm.