Hakka Noodles is a preparation from the Hakka region of South China. This recipe is an Indo Chinese variation of the preparation. The main flavor in this recipe is the black pepper, which gives it a very unique flavor.
|Preparation time||30 minutes|
|Dry noodles||2 servings|
|Green, red and yellow bell peppers||1 cup chopped|
|Carrots||1/2 cup chopped|
|Cabbage||1/2 cup chopped|
|Green onions||1/4 cup chopped|
|Red or yellow onion||1/2 cup chopped|
|Ginger||1 tsp grated|
|Freshly crushed black pepper||1/4 tsp|
|Rice vinegar||2 tbsp|
|Soy sauce||4 tbsp|
|Chilli garlic sauce||2 tbsp|
|Sesame oil||1 tbsp|
|Vegetable oil||2 tbsp|
- Select the noodles that are slightly flat and not too wide.
- Boil the noodles as per the package direction. After noodles are boiled, run them through cold water so that the cooking stops and they do not stick.
- While the noodles are boiling, chop peppers, onions, carrots and cabbage in long sticks.
- Chop the green onions and green chilli finely. Peel and grate the ginger finely.
- Heat the vegetable oil and sesame oil together. Add grated ginger and saute for a couple of minutes. Ginger should not change color.
- Add Chopped onions and chopped green chillies. Saute for about 30 seconds and then add carrots, peppers and cabbage. Saute for another minute. The goal is to cook them very lightly, they should stay crisp.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, add soy sauce, vinegar, chilli garlic sauce and mix everything.
- Now add the boiled noodles and the crushed black pepper. Mix everything thoroughly. You may not need to add any salt depending on your soy sauce. Adjust the seasoninga as per your liking. Turn off the heat.
- Add chopped green onions and mix. Vegetable Hakka Noodles with Black Pepper is ready to serve