Kumaoni Halwa or Pahadi halwa is a totally different preparation than the regular suji ka halwa prepared in North India. The yogurt gives it a little tangy flavor and the crust gives it a bite. I loved it when I first tried it at a Kumaoni friend’s house and so will you.
|Preparation time||60 minutes|
|Suji or rawa||1 cup|
|Mixed nuts||1/4 cup|
- Chop the nuts coarsely and keep aside.
- Peel the cardamoms and grind the seeds finely.
- Mix suji or rawa in about half the ghee. Try to make a fist with the suji. Open the fist and if suji holds the shape, that’s enough ghee.
- Mix yogurt in suji. The mixture should have the consistency like a cake batter. If it’s too thick, add a little water. Rest the mixture for about 30 minutes.
- After half an hour, heat the remaining ghee in a wok and add the mixture to the wok. Mix it in the ghee thoroughly.
- Turn the heat to medium low and cover the mixture and let it cook.
- After about 5 minutes, turn it over. It would have formed a light brown crust. Break the crust and mix it again. The mixture will stay uneven because of the crust. Let it cook for 15 more minutes. Keep turning it every 4-5 minutes.
- Add chopped nuts, cardamom powder and sugar. Mix everything and keep turning it. Cook for 5 more minutes, while stirring almost continuously.
- Turn off the heat and Kumaoni Halwa or sheh is ready to serve.
Kumaoni Halwa - Sheh
Based on 4 Review(s)