Annakut is made on the very next day of Diwali. Diwali is a time when summer vegetables are finishing up and winter vegetables are starting to come. So the concept was to bid farewell to the summer vegetables and welcome all the winter vegetables by making one dish with all of them together. Interesting thing about Annakut is that it tastes different every time I make it because the combination of vegetables is almost always different 😉 Jains can skip the onions in this.
|Preparation Time:||60 minutes|
|Chopped Vegetables||1/2 cup of each vegetable (7-8 vegetables minimum)|
|Potatoes (aloo)||2 medium|
|Red Onion||1 medium|
|Jeera (cumin seeds) powder||1 tsp|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 tsp|
|Red chilli powder||1/2 tsp|
|Coriander powder||1 tsp|
|Garam Masala||1/2 tsp|
|Vegetable Oil||1 tbsp|
|Fresh coriander leaves||To Garnish|
- Chop all the vegetables finely, except onions and potatoes, which are to be chopped coarsely. Chop potatoes in half inch cubes. Keep aside.
- All the measurements here are assuming that there are about 500 gm of chopped vegetables. Adjust the spices if you have more or less vegetables.
- Heat oil in a large pan. Saute onions.
- Add all the spices except garam masala and saute for a few seconds.
- Add all the vegetables and about half cup of water. Mix everything, cover the pan and turn the heat to low.
- Cook for about 25 minutes. Keep tossing the vegetables every once in a while. If it starts burning at the bottom, add some more water.
- Once all the vegetables are soft, add garam masala and mix. Make sure that all the water is absorbed otherwise turn up the heat and burn all the water. Annakut is ready. Turn off the heat.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves and serve Annakut hot with roti, Dhuli Masoor Dal and Steamed Rice.
- In Annakut you can add as many vegetables as you like. I have used up to 30 vegetables.
- Two things are very important in Annakut. One, potatoes to bind all the vegetables and two, tomatoes to give it a tangy taste. So make sure you use more potatoes and tomatoes than any other vegetables.