Handvo is a traditional Gujarati snack made of various dals, which makes it a very nutritious snack.
|Preparation Time:15H||80 minutes|
|Chana Dal||1/4 cup|
|Urad Dal||1.5 tbsp|
|Grated Lauki||1.5 cup packed|
|Grated Ginger||1 tbsp|
|Green Chillies||1 tbsp chopped|
|Ajwain (Carom Seeds)||1/2 tsp|
|Red Chilli Powder||1/2 tsp|
|Haldi (Turmeric Powder)||1/2 tsp|
|Vegetable Oil||3 tbsp|
|Sesame Seeds (Til)||2 tbsp|
|Mustard Seeds||1/4 tsp|
- Pick rice and dal to make sure there is no dirt or stones. Wash them and soak them for at least 4 hours.
- Grind rice and dal mixture coarsely with very little water.
- Peel lauki and grate it coarsely. If dal mixture is too runny, squeeze the water from lauki.
- Peel and grate ginger. Finely chop green chillies.
- Mix ground dal, ginger, green chillies, yogurt, salt, sugar, haldi, ajwain and shredded lauki together in a bowl.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil. Add red chilli powder and roughly chopped kari leaves. Make sure that oil is not too hot otherwise chilli powder will burn and turn black.
- Add it to the dal mixture and mix well. Leave it overnight.
- When you are ready to make handvo, lightly grease a baking tray. I have used a muffin tray but regular tray is just fine.
- Add eno to the batter. Batter will foam up.
- Pour the batter in the pan. Top it with sesame seeds.
- Heat the remaining oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds to it and wait till they finish popping. You can cover the pan so that seeds don’t shoot everywhere. Add heeng. Turn off the heat.
- Top the mixture in the baking tray with the mustard oil.
- Cover the baking tray with aluminum foil and bake it at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes, remove the foil and grill it for 10 minutes. Keep it in the middle rack and keep an eye on it because you don’t want it to burn.
- Remove the baking tray from the oven and let it cool for some time. Carefully remove the pieces from the tray and Handvo is ready to serve. If you used a simple baking tray, cut handvo in pieces and serve it warm.
- After mixing eno in the batter, don’t mix it too much, don’t keep it for too long otherwise the batter will lose all the foam.
- You can serve Handvo as it is or with a chutney of your choice.
- It can be made ahead of time and stored in refrigerator but always warm it before serving.