A Hyderabadi friend taught me this wonderful Vegetable Biryani recipe. It requires some preparation but it’s worth the effort.
|Preparation Time:||60 minutes|
|Basmati Rice||1 cup|
|Mixed Vegetables (Cauliflower, carrots, Beans, Potatoes, Capsicum)||4 cup|
|Red Onion||1 medium|
|Fresh Mint Leaves||1/4 cup|
|Fresh Coriander Leaves||1/4 cup|
|Broken Cashews||1/4 cup|
|Grated Ginger||1 tbsp|
|Cumin Seeds||1 tsp|
|Cinnamon Stick||1 inch|
|Whole Black Peppercorns||7-8|
|Salt||1 + 1/2 tsp|
|Saffron Threads||A pinch|
|Red Chilli Powder||1/2 tsp|
|Coriander Powder||1 tbsp|
|Fennel Seeds Powder||1 tsp|
|Clarified Butter (Ghee)||3 tbsp|
- Wash and soak rice for at least 1 hour.
- Slice onion coarsely.
- Chop vegetables in big chunks.
- Peel and grated ginger finely.
- Cut green chillies in 1 inch pieces.
- Heat 1 tbsp of ghee. Add sliced onion and fry till they are golden brown. Now add cashews and raisins and fry till onions become dark brown and cashews are also browned a little. Keep it aside.
- Boil 5 cups of water and drop rice in it. Add 1/2 tbsp of ghee and 1 tsp of salt. Let it boil. When it starts to boil again, reduce the heat and let it cook uncovered.
- Keep checking the rice. When it’s slightly el dante, drain the water and keep the rice aside.
- Heat the remaining ghee in a big pan. Add cinnamon stick, peppercorns, cloves and bay leaves till fragrant. Then add grated ginger and fry for a minute.
- Add the hard vegetables like carrots, beans and potatoes. Stir fry them for a few minutes on high heat.
- Now add cauliflower and capsicum and stir fry for another 2-3 minutes. All the vegetables should be slightly brownish.
- Add coriander powder, fennel powder, red chilli, nutmeg powder, 1/2 tsp salt and green chillies and fry for a few seconds.
- Pour the whisked yogurt and mix well. Once it starts to boil, reduce the heat to its lowest.
- Layer the vegetables evenly in the pan.
- Spread the chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves on the vegetables.
- Now spread the boiled rice on the vegetables in an even layer.
- Then spread the fried onion, cashews and raisins on top of the rice.
- Mix saffron in warm water and sprinkle on top.
- Cover the pan with a tight lid and let it cook on a very low heat for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, turn off the heat and mix the rice and vegetables lightly. Vegetable Biryani is ready to serve with raita.
- You can even add rose petals, rose water or kewra water in biryani.
- Traditionally it’s cooked in a clay pot and served without mixing it but I like it better if it’s served after mixing because then even if you took a small portion, you will get to taste all the layers of the Vegetable Biryani.
- Rice needs to be really good basmati rice otherwise the grains will not turn out to be long and separate.