Lasagne is a wide and flat kind of pasta. It’s baked with layers of sauce, vegetables and cheese. The hardest part of the recipe is to collect all the ingredients. Once you have them it ‘s easy to assemble everything. Eggplant Mushroom Lasagne uses eggplant and mushroom as the main vegetables in this pasta.
|Preparation Time:||100 minutes|
|Olive Oil||1/2 cup|
|Red Onion||1 cup finely chopped|
|Baingan (Eggplant)||400 gm|
|Celery||1/2 cup minced|
|Carrots (gajar)||1/2 cup minced|
|Fresh parsley||1/2 cup chopped|
|Dried Oregano||1 tsp|
|Dried basil leaves||1 tsp|
|Dried Thyme||1/2 tsp|
|Plum Tomatoes||1 lb|
|Tomato Sauce||8 oz|
|Red Wine (optional)||1/2 cup|
|Salt||1 1/2 tsp|
|Red Pepper Flakes||1 tsp|
|Mozzarella Cheese||2 cups|
|Parmesan Cheese||1 cup|
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a sauce pan. Add chopped onions and grated garlic and saute till they are limp.
- Add the remaining oil, then the diced eggplant, minced celery and minced carrots. Saute for 10 minutes.
- Add the parsley, mushrooms, oregano, basil and thyme. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in chopped tomatoes, the tomato sauce and wine.
- Simmer on low heat until thickened (about 20 minutes). Season to taste with sugar, salt and red pepper flakes. Turn off the heat. Sauce is ready. I also stirred in some fresh basil leaves but that’s optional.
- Cook the lasagne noodles according to the package direction, rinse and drain.
- Mix cottage cheese and egg and keep aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- We are going to make 3 layers in this lasagne but once you get the hang of it, feel free to make as many layers as you like.
- Spread a small amount of sauce on the baking dish.
- Place 1/3 the noodles in the baking dish. Spread half the cottage cheese mixture on the noodles.
- Sprinkle half of the mozzarella cheese and a third of Parmesan cheese on top.
- Repeat the previous three steps.
- Spread half of the remaining sauce on the assembly. Place the remaining pasta on top. Spread the remaining sauce on pasta and top it with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Cover it tightly with the foil and bake it for 35 to 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Eggplant Mushroom Lasagne is ready. Cut it in square pieces and serve it hot.
- Some people like their sauce to be a little more runny. Feel free to adjust the thickness.
- You can prepare this ahead of time and heat it at the time of serving.
- If you don’t have fresh parsley, use one tbsp of dried parsley.