Chana dal is a very nutritious dal but it’s slightly difficult to digest and that’s why lauki is added to the dal to make it easier to digest. So Lauki Chana Dal becomes a perfect dal for everyone.
|Preparation Time:||45 minutes|
|Chana (Gram) dal||1 cup|
|Lauki cut in 1/2 inch cubes||2 cups|
|Haldi (turmeric powder)||1/2 tsp|
|Butter or ghee (clarified butter)||1 tbsp|
|Jeera (cumin seeds)||3/4 tsp|
|Heeng (asafoetida)||1 pinch|
|Ginger grated||1 tsp|
|Red chilli powder (lal mirch)||1/2 tsp|
|Freshly blended tomatoes||4 tbsp|
|Green chillies chopped (optional)||2-3|
|Coriander leaves chopped||1/4 cup|
- Pick chana dal to remove any stones and dirt. Wash it thoroughly.
- Pour it in a pressure cooker. Add water, lauki pieces, salt and haldi powder. Close the cooker and let it cook.
- Once it starts whistling, reduce the heat and let it cook for 20 minutes. You may have to fine tune this a little bit depending on your cooker.
- Turn off the heat and wait till the steam dies.
- Heat a small pan and add ghee to it.
- Add jeera seeds and wait till they puff up. Now add ginger and fry till it starts browning. Add heeng, chilli powder and mix thoroughly. Add freshly blended tomato, chopped green chillies and cook for 5 minutes till oil starts separating.
- Open cooker, add tomato mixture and cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve Lauki Chana Dal hot with Naan or chapati.
- Some people don’t like the strong aroma of asafoetida. You can always leave it out but it’s very good for digestion.
- Dal always becomes a little thicker after it cools down.