Andhra Style Eggplants preparation is like Punjabi Bharta but with Andhra style spices.
|Preparation Time: 10 minutes||Cooking Time: 20 minutes|
|Servings: 4||Difficulty: Easy|
|Small Eggplants||8 – 10|
|Mustard Seeds (rai)||1/2 tsp|
|Grated Ginger||1 tsp|
|Whole Red Chilli||7-8|
|Turmeric Powder||1/4 tsp|
|Red Chilli Powder||1.5 tsp|
|Cumin Seeds||1/2 tsp|
|Tamarind Pulp||2 tsp|
|Vegetable Oil||3 tbsp|
- Cut eggplants in 2 inch pieces.
- Heat the oil in a nonstick pan. Add mustard seeds, chopped onion and grated ginger.
- Cook till golden brown. Add chopped green chillies, eggplant pieces, salt and turmeric powder. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add red chilli powder. Cook it covered till soft.
- Add tamarind paste and mash the eggplants a little.
- In a separate pan, prepare the tempering. Heat a tbsp of oil, add cumin seeds, whole red chilli and kari patta. Fry for a few seconds till cumin seeds puff up and red chillies are fried. Turn off the heat.
- Add the tempering to the cooked eggplant.
- Mix everything and serve it hot with Roti or Parantha.
- I did not mash the eggplants but they taste even better when mashed up a little.
- I used the long eggplants but you can use any kind. Ultimately they are going to be a little mashed up.