Phirni is a very quick version of the traditional Chawal Ki Kheer , yet very tasty.
|Preparation Time:||40 minutes|
|Soaked Rice||3 tbsp|
|Kesar (saffron)||A pinch|
|Small cardamom (choti elaichi)||1|
- Boil the milk in a heavy bottom wok. Reduce the heat and let it boil.
- Grind the cardamom seeds and keep aside.
- Chop the pistachio for garnishing. Keep aside.
- Grind the rice coarsely and keep aside.
- Wait till the milk is reduced by 1/4th.
- Add rice paste and keep on stirring continuously. The mixture will thicken immediately.
- Add saffron, cardamom powder and sugar and keep cooking for a few minutes.
- Pour it in individual serving dishes. It will set immediately. Garnish with pistachio and let it chill in refrigerator. Phirni is ready.
- Serve Phirni chilled.
- If the lumps form after adding the rice paste, just mash it with a potato masher to make it smooth.
- If it becomes too thick, add a little milk to have pouring consistency.