Sheekh means wooden stick and so Sheekh Kebab means Kebabs on the stick. Traditionally Sheekh Kebabs are made of minced meat but that does not mean that it cannot be made with vegetables. Here is an easy to make Vegetable Sheekh Kebab recipe that has no meat.
|Preparation Time:||40 minutes|
|Carrots||1/2 cup chopped|
|French Beans||1/2 cup chopped|
|Cabbage||1/2 cup chopped|
|Shelled Peas||1/2 cup|
|Roasted and Ground Chana||3 tbsp|
|Cashewnut Powder||3 tbsp|
|Black Pepper||1/2 tsp|
|Garam Masala||1/2 tsp|
|Bread Crumbs||4 tbsp|
|Shahi Jeera||1 tsp|
|Ginger||1 inch piece|
|Vegetable Oil||3 tbsp|
- Peel and chop the carrots finely. You can even grate them coarsely.
- String and chop the beans finely.
- Chop the cabbage and green chillies finely.
- Boil and grate the potato coarsely.
- Peel and grate the ginger finely.
- Swirl a fresh bread in the chopper for a few seconds to make fresh bread crumbs.
- Grind the roasted chane and cashew nuts to make a powder.
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a nonstick pan. Add shahi jeera in it and wait till they puff up.
- Add grated ginger and green chillies and fry for a minute.
- Now add all the vegetables and salt. Saute for a few minutes till they are limp. Turn off the heat and take them off the pan.
- Mix everything else except the oil and make a dough. Taste to see if the spices are okay otherwise adjust them.
- Take some dough in your hand and put on a skewer. Spread it across the length and flatten it. Repeat with other skewers.
- Heat the nonstick pan again and sprinkle a little oil. Place a few kebabs on the oil and let it cook.
- Turn them over to cook from both sides. Cook till they are brown.
- Serve them hot with a chutney of your choice or simply sprinkle some chaat masala on top before serving.
- If the dough is too loose, add some more bread crumbs.
- Feel free to replace the vegetables with what you have in the refrigerator. You can also add grated paneer to this.
- If you don’t have skewers, you can simply make tikki out of the dough but then you can’t call it sheekh kebab 😉