Tamarind Onions is a delicious way to enjoy small onions with every meal.
|Preparation Time:||20 minutes|
|Small Onions||500 gm|
|Tamarind Pulp||1/4 cup|
|Red Chilli Powder||1.5 tsp|
|Turmeric Powder||1/4 tsp|
|Kalonji (onion seeds)||1 tbsp|
|Til (white sesame seeds)||2 tbsp|
|Heeng (asafoetida)||A pinch|
|Mustard Oil||2 tbsp|
- Peel the onions and wash them.
- Heat the mustard oil. Add asafoetida powder, sesame seeds and onion seeds and fry for a minute or so. The sesame seeds will start popping a little so cover the wok.
- Add chopped green chillies and fry for another minute. If sesame seeds start to brown, add a little water.
- Add rest of the spices and cook for a minute.
- If the gravy is too thick, add 1/2 cup of water.
- Add onions and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Store it in refrigerator after it cools down. Serve it hot or at room temperature with any meal. Tamarind Onions are ready.
- If sesame seeds start to brown, quickly add some water so that they don’t burn.