Urad dal or Black Gram is a very popular dal in eastern Uttar Pradesh. It’s a simple dal made like any other dal but requires onion tomato tadka for the best taste.
|Preparation Time:||30 minutes|
|Urad dal||1 cup|
|Red onion||1 small|
|Freshly blended Tomatoes||1/2 cup|
|Green chilies chopped||1|
|Coriander leaves chopped||To garnish|
|Ginger garlic paste||1 tbsp|
|Butter or Ghee (clarified butter)||1 tbsp|
|Jeera (cumin seeds)||3/4 tsp|
|Haldi (turmeric powder)||1/2 tsp|
|Red chilli powder (lal mirch)||1/2 tsp|
|Heeng (asafoetida)||A pinch|
- Pick urad dal to make sure that there are no stones or dirt.
- Wash it thoroughly and cook it in a pressure cooker with 4.5 cups of water, haldi powder and salt.
- Once the cooker starts whistling, turn off the heat.
- Heat butter in a pan. Add jeera seeds and wait till they puff up.
- Now add ginger, garlic and onions. Saute till onions become translucent.
- Then add chili powder and heeng. Wait till fragrant.
- Add blended tomato and green chilies. Saute till butter starts separating. Turn off the heat.
- Open the pressure cooker after the steam dies completely.
- Mix onion tomato mixture into the cooker and cook it open for one minute on low heat. Turn off the heat. Garnish with coriander leaves. Urad dal is ready to serve.
- Serve hot with Rice, Flat bread and Mashed Eggplant.
- To prevent butter from burning, add a few drops of oil while heating the butter.
- You may have to fine tune the duration of pressure cooking because it depends on your pressure cooker. Basically urad should be pretty soft but the grains should still be separate after they are cooked.
- Dal always becomes thick after cooling off, so adjust the water accordingly.