Baingan Ka Bharta is a popular dish from the north region of India. It goes best with Tandoori roti and Rajma, the other specialties from that region.
|Preparation Time:||60 minutes|
|Baingan (Eggplant)||1 large|
|Red onion||1/2 cup chopped|
|Tomatoes||1/2 cup chopped|
|Freshly blended tomato||1/4 cup|
|Fresh coriander leaves||To garnish|
|Finely chopped ginger||1 tbsp|
|Jeera (cumin seeds)||3/4 tsp|
|Haldi (turmeric powder)||1/2 tsp|
|Red chilli powder (lal mirch)||1/4 tsp|
|Dhaniya (coriander) powder||1.5 tsp|
|Garam Masala||1/2 tsp|
- Wash the baingan and make a few cuts in it. It’s important to make cuts in eggplant otherwise it will explode while roasting.
- Now broil the eggplant in the oven or grill it on the stove till it’s soft from all sides (about 20 minutes). Keep flipping the eggplant every 7-8 minutes while broiling.
- Cool it down, peel, remove the stem and mash it a bit. Keep aside.
- Crush peppercorns and cloves coarsely and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add jeera seeds and wait till they puff up.
- Now add ginger and onions. Saute till onions become translucent.
- Add haldi powder, chili powder, dhaniya powder, crushed peppercorns and cloves, and stir till fragrant.
- Quickly add freshly blended tomato, chopped tomatoes and chopped green chilies. Saute till the oil starts showing.
- Add mashed baingan and salt. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves and garam masala and mix well. Turn off the heat. Baingan Ka Bharta is ready.
- Serve it hot with Rice, Flat bread and Mix Dal – Chana, Whole Urad, Whole Masoor.
Baingan Ka Bharta
Based on 1 Review(s)