Palak Aloo is a simple vegetable that is full of iron and other minerals and it’s a great accompaniment to Indian roti/parantha. It can also be used as a filling in sandwiches.
- Remove stems from the leaves. Wash the leaves thoroughly because often they contain a lot of dirt. Chop them coarsely.
- Cut potatoes into 1/2 cm thick pieces.
- Heat oil in a large non-sticking pan. Add cumin seeds and wait for them to puff up.
- Add potato pieces and stir fry till they are golden brown (about 5 minutes).
- Now add two tbsp of water, haldi powder, chili powder, dhaniya powder, green chili and salt. stir till fragrant.
- Quickly add spinach leaves. Mix and reduce heat. Cover with a lid and let it cook till the potatoes are soft (about 15 minutes). Stir occasionally.
- Add garam masala and mango powder and mix lightly. If there is any water left, reduce it and then turn off the heat.
- Palak Aloo is ready. Serve hot with roti/parantha and a dal.