I saw Amritsari Ma Ki Dal recipe in Master Chef India – Season 2 and tried it. It came out wonderful. My husband, who normally does not like Ma Ki Dal, loved it. Se here is the recipe from Master Chef. BTW, Haryanvi Ma Ki Dal does not contain rajma and chane ki dal. It contains only whole urad.
|Preparation time:||3 hours|
|Chilka Urad Dal||1 cup|
|Rajma (kidney beans)||1/8 cup|
|Chana Dal||1/8 cup|
|Red Onion||1 cup chopped|
|Ginger||4 tsp grated|
|Garlic paste (optional)||2 tsp|
|Fresh Coriander Leaves||1/2 cup chopped|
|Coriander Powder||1 tbsp|
|Butter (optional)||1 tbsp|
|Mustard Oil||2-3 tbsp|
- Pick all dals to make sure there is no dirt or stone in it. Wash it a few times.
- Peel and grate ginger finely. Chop the green chillies.
- Pour all dals in a sauce pan with 5 cups of water and turn on the heat. Add half the ginger, half the green chillies, salt and mustard oil and let it cook.
- Once it starts to boil, reduce the heat and cover it. Let it cook for at least one hour or till the time rajma is tender and starts to melt. Add more water if required.
- For tadka (tempering), heat ghee in a frying pan. Add finely chopped onion and fry till they become translucent.
- Now add dhania powder, chopped tomatoes (or pureed tomatoes), remaining ginger, remaining green chillies, and fry till the tomatoes are cooked.
- Add the onion mixture to dal. You can add a little butter if you like. Add half the coriander leaves and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Once dal is creamy, turn off the heat. Amritsari Ma Ki Dal is ready. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve it hot with Roti or Rice.
- As per the chef, don’t cook this in pressure cooker. The flavor will not be the same.
- Normally you need to smoke the mustard oil before you use it to reduce its bitterness. Since here we are cooking it for a long time, there is no need to smoke it separately.
- For best taste, you need to add a lot more butter to it but I usually avoid it.