I always wondered on how to make mangoris and then I saw this recipe in Master Chef India – Season 2. Methi Mangori is a Rajasthani preparation. I tried it and it came out quite well.
|Preparation time:||25 minutes|
|Methi (fenugreek) Seeds||1 tbsp|
|Dried Whole Red Chilli||1|
|Cumin Seeds||1 tsp|
|Turmeric Powder (haldi)||1/2 tsp|
|Red Chilli Powder||1 tsp|
|Coriander Seeds||1 tsp|
- Soak methi seeds overnight or for at least 4 hours. This is to reduce its bitterness.
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a wok. Fry mangori in ghee till they are slightly brown. Keep aside. This brings up the flavor of mangori.
- Crush coriander seeds and cumin seeds coarsely. Keep aside.
- Whisk curd. Add turmeric powder and red chilli powder in it. This ensures that the curd does not separate out while cooking. Keep aside.
- Heat rest of the ghee in the wok. Add crushed coriander and cumin seeds to it and fry. Now break the red chilli coarsely and add to it. Add heeng.
- Add besan and roast for a couple of minutes.
- Now add curd mixture to the wok and turn up the heat. Stir constantly otherwise curd will separate out. The mixture will start to thicken. Add 1/4 cup water so that it does not form any lumps. Once the mixture becomes smooth, add 2 cups of water and salt and let it boil.
- Wash methi seeds a few times to reduce the bitterness and then add them to the wok.
- Add fried mangori and cover the wok.
- Let it boil till mangoris become a little soft – about 15 minutes.
- Now turn off the heat. Methi Mangori is ready. It should neither be too watery nor too dry. Serve it hot with Roti or Rice.
- Mix haldi and red chilli in yogurt before cooking it. This will prevent it separating with water.
- Soak methi seeds and wash them to reduce bitterness.
- You can also make the Mangori at home.