Himachali Sepu Vadi And Dahi Madra is an important part of Himachali cuisine and can be found in every celebration, be it a wedding or a festival. Interesting thing is that although it is delicious, it never made it to the rest of the country. In any case, I love it because it’s not only tasty but really healthy too.
|Preparation time||40 minutes|
|Sepu vadi||Of 1/2 cup dal|
|Red chilli powder||1/2 tsp|
|Coriander (dhaniya) powder||1.5 tsp|
|Asafoetida (heeng)||A pinch|
|Cumin seeds (jeera)||3/4 tsp|
|Turmeric (haldi) powder||1/2 tsp|
|Bay leaf (tezpatta)||1|
|Small cardamom (choti elaichi)||3|
|Cinnamon stick||1 piece|
- Heat ghee in a wok and add cumin seeds, bay leaf, cloves, cardamom and asafoetida and wait till fragrant.
- Now add red chilli powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder and saute on low heat till fragrant.
- Once all the spices are fragrant, add whisked yogurt and keep stirring till it boils. If you don’t stir it continuously, it will separate. You can add a teaspoon of besan in it to prevent it from splitting.
- Once it starts to boil, add the fried sepu vadi pieces and mix it lightly.
- Add 2 cups of water and boil it, once it starts to boil, cook for 2 to 3 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Himachali Sepu Vadi And Dahi Madra is ready. Serve it hot with steamed rice.