Marinara sauce or a basic red sauce is an essential staple in any western cook’s pantry. Countless Italian American recipes are based on this sauce. This is a very simple recipe but the flavor you end up with is rich, fresh and perfectly balanced. The butter in the recipe helps in keeping the sauce nice and creamy. The dairy sweetness works in tandem with the sweetness of the onions while rounding out the harsh acidic notes of tomatoes.
रैड पास्ता सॉस की रेसिपी हिंदी में पढ़ें
This recipe has been taken from the book “The Food Lab”. Click on the following image to buy it from Amazon.
|Preparation time||40 minutes|
|Extra virgin olive oil||2 tbsp|
|Unsalted butter||2 tbsp|
|Dried oregano leaves||1/2 tsp|
|Red chilli flakes||1/2 tsp|
|Canned tomatoes||28 oz|
- Peel and chop onions finely.
- Mince garlic.
- If you like your sauce evenly textured, give the tomatoes a few swirls in the blender otherwise just mash them with the help of a potato masher.
- Heat oil and butter in a sauce pan on medium heat until the butter is melted.
- Add garlic and onion and fry till they are translucent, not browned, about 3 minutes. Now sprinkle oregano and pepper and cook till fragrant.
- Once the herbs are fragrant, add the tomatoes and bring it to boil over high heat.
- Once it starts to boil, reduce the heat to simmer and cook, stirring occasionally until the sauce is thickened and reduced to abot 4 cups, in about 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and turn off the heat. Marinara sauce is ready. The sauce can stay well in refrigerator for a week.
- Whenever you use this sauce, add some fresh basil leaves to enhance the flavor. Cooking basil leaves reduces their flavor.
- There are certain herbs that are best used fresh but many are good even when dried. The herbs that should be used fresh are Parsley, Basil, Mint, Cilantro, Chervil, Chives, Dill, Sorrel and Tarragon. The ones that can be used dried are Oregano, Rosemary, Majoram, Bay leaf, Thyme, Sage and Savory.
This recipe has been taken from the book “The Food Lab”. This is an amazing book, explaining the science behind cooking with a lot of recipes. Click on the following image to buy it from Amazon.