Drumsticks Curry is a popular curry in South India since drumsticks tree is a commonly grown tree there. Drumsticks have a lot of health benefits too. They regulate blood sugar, they improve digestion, they are great for bone health and they boost immunity. Need less to say that they are a superfood so if you find them, try to eat them. Here is a simple recipe to start with.
|Preparation Time||40 minutes|
|Onions||1/2 cup sliced|
|Tomatoes||1/2 cup chopped|
|Mustard (sarson) seeds||1 tsp|
|Whole dried red chillies||1|
|Kari leaves||10 – 15|
|Red chilli powder||1/2 tsp|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 tsp|
|Coriander powder||1.5 tsp|
|Tamarind paste||1 tsp|
|Vegetable Oil||2 tsp|
- Wash drumsticks and cut them in 2 inch pieces. Peel off the hard outer shell.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and whole red chilli. Cover it because the seeds are going to pop out.
- Add sliced onion and kari leaves and saute for a few minutes till the onions wilt a bit.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and dry masalas and fry for a few seconds.
- Cook them covered till they are mushy.
- Add drumsticks pieces and 2 cups of water and turn up the heat. Let it boil. Once it starts to boil, turn the heat low and let it cook covered till the drumsticks are soft but not mushy. Add more water if required.
- Once drumsticks are soft, add tamarind paste and cook for another couple of minutes and the drumsticks curry is ready. Serve it hot with steamed rice.