Quinoa is a healthy alternative to white rice as it has double the protein and half the carbohydrates of the rice. It is from the Amaranth (chaulai) family. Indian Style Plain Quinoa is basically a typical Jeera Rice in which the rice is replaced with quinoa.
|Preparation time:||30 minutes|
|Cumin seeds (jeera)||1 tsp|
|Black pepper (optional)||1/2 tsp|
|Bay leaf (optional)||1|
|Clarified butter or ghee||1 tsp|
- Wash quinoa and soak it in 2 cups of water for an hour. If you are in a hurry, you can skip soaking but quinoa puffs up better if it is soafed.
- In a sauce pan, heat clarified butter and add cumin seeds, black pepper, cloves and bay leaf. Wait for cumin seeds to puff up.
- Now pour quinoa, without the water in the pan. Mix everything nicely so that all the quinoa seeds are coated with clarified butter. Now add salt and the water in which the quinoa was soaked. Mix and let it cook.
- Once water starts to boil, lower the heat, cover it and wait till all the water is absorbed. Keep stirring once in a while.
- Once all the water is absorbed, turn off the heat and let it cook in its own steam. Indian Style Plain Quinoa is ready. Serve it with yogurt and dal