Fresh vegetables are part of traditional Chinese cuisine. The best part is that they don’t overcook their vegetables so they keep all their goodness even after the dish is ready. To make the best Chinese Vegetable Sir Fry, you need a lot of fresh vegetables (some leafy vegetables, some crisp vegetables, some colorful ones), some strong flavors like green onions, ginger and garlic, some hot spices like Schezwan peppercorns and some wet ingredients like soy sauce, vinegar and fermented bean paste.
|Preparation Time||60 minutes|
|Fresh vegetables (carrots, broccoli, bok choy, cabbage, onion, beans etc.)||8 cups|
|Green onions||1 cup chopped|
|Garlic||1 tbsp minced|
|Ginger||1 tbsp finely chopped|
|Fermented bean paste||2 tsp|
|Dark soy sauce||5 tsp|
|Corn starch||1 tsp|
|Red chilli powder||1/2 tsp|
|13 spices or 5 spices powder||1/4 tsp|
|Vegetable Oil||2 tbsp|
|Sesame Oil||1 tbsp|
- Wash all the vegetables and chop them in big pieces. Chop green onions, ginger and garlic finely.
- Mix bean paste, soy sauce, vinegar, red chilli powder, 13 spices powder, corn starch and water
- Crush both the peppercorns coarsely.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan and fry ginger garlic till is starts to brown but does not brown.
- Add the hard vegetables like carrots and beans and saute for a minute on high heat.
- Now add rest of the vegetables and again saute for a couple of minutes till they brown a bit.
- Add the sauce mixture and the peppercorns and mix thoroughly. Cook till there is no water left at the bottom of the pan and then turn off the heat and drizzle sesame oil and sprinkle the green onions on top.
- Mix gently and the Chinese Vegetable Stir Fry is ready.
- Serve it hot with steamed rice.
- Make sure that some of the vegetables stay crisp otherwise they won’t taste great.