Shrikhand is an Indian dessert, made out of hung dahi/curd/yogurt and various flavors like saffron, cardamom etc. It is a very popular sweet in Maharashtra and Gujarat.
|Preparation Time:||A day|
|Kesar (saffron)||A pinch|
|Small cardamom (choti elaichi)||1|
|Raw Pistachio||1 tbsp|
- Let the dahi/curd/yogurt drain through a muslin cloth in refrigerator overnight.
- Add saffron to the warm milk and rub to dissolve it in the milk. If saffron does not get dissolved in the milk completely, crush it in pestle and mortar.
- Peel the cardamom and grind it finely. Keep aside.
- Once yogurt is all solid, mix sugar, powdered cardamom and saffron milk in it.
- Whisk the mixture well.
- If you see some lumps, strain it through a sieve so that you get very smooth dahi/curd/yogurt.
- Garnish with chopped pistachio and serve Shrikhand chilled.
- It’s very important to drain excess water from the yogurt otherwise you will not get the creamy texture.
- You can tell that the yogurt is fully drained if it holds it’s shape.