Shimla Mirch Aloo is a very simple vegetable made in North India, which can supplement a curry, raita and roti. It’s a Jaini preparation without any onions or garlic.
|Preparation Time:||40 minutes|
|Shimla Mirch (Capsicum)||1 lb|
|Cumin Powder (jeera)||3/4 tsp|
|Turmeric Powder||1/2 tsp|
|Red Chilli Powder||1/2 tsp|
|Coriander Powder||1 tsp|
|Pureed Tomatoes||1/2 cup|
|Garam masala||1/2 tsp|
- Wash shimla mirch and chop them in 1 inch cubes. Similarly, wash and peel potatoes and then chop them in 1/2 cm thick pieces.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large nonstick pan and add jeera. Wait till they crackle.
- Add potato pieces and fry till they start becoming brown (about five minutes), stirring constantly
- Now add cumin powder, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and mix thoroughly.
- Add shimla mirch pieces, salt and a quarter cup of water. Mix thoroughly. Reduce heat. Cover the pan and let it cook for about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally. Depending on how crisp do you want your capsicum or shimla mirch, you may turn off the heat sooner.
- Potatoes should be soft and capsicum as per your desired softness. Once they both are ready, add pureed tomatoes and mix.
- Let it cook for 5 more minutes. Add garam masala and mix again.
- Turn off the heat. Serve Shimla Mirch Aloo, hot as a side dish with Naan or chapati.