Morocco produces a large range of Mediterranean fruits and vegetables and even some tropical ones. Spices are used extensively in Moroccan food, like cinnamon, cumin, turmeric, ginger, paprika, coriander, saffron, mace, cloves, fennel, anise, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, fenugreek, caraway, black pepper and sesame seeds. Common herbs in Moroccan cuisine include mint, parsley, coriander, oregano, peppermint, marjoram, verbena, sage and bay laurel. Moroccan Potatoes is a wonderful Moroccan styled aromatic vegetable casserole, using the spices and herbs common to Morocco, best eaten with steamed rice.
|Preparation Time:||90 minutes|
|Red, Green, Yellow Bell Peppers||1 each|
|Celery (optional)||4 stalks|
|Olive Oil||1 tbsp|
|Kali mirch (black peppercorns)||1/2 tsp|
|Red chilli powder (lal mirch)||1.5 tsp|
|Jeera (cumin seeds)||1/2 tsp|
|Fresh Cilantro||3/4 cup|
|Fresh Parsley||3/4 cup|
|Red Wine Vinegar||3 tbsp|
|Olive Oil||2 tbsp|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- For sauce, combine all the ingredients of sauce in a blender and blend them. Keep aside.
- Boil potatoes in a pressure cooker for one whistle only. The idea is to parboil the potatoes. They should not be soft but they should not be totally raw either.
- Chop potatoes in 1/2 inch thick slices. You can keep the skin if you are using red or white potatoes.
- Cut bell peppers into 1 inch squares.
- Chop celery stalks into 1 inch pieces.
- Cut each tomato in 8 pieces to make 1 inch long pieces.
- Combine all the chopped vegetables in a large bowl. Add crushed black pepper and the sauce. Toss the vegetables.
- Transfer to a baking dish and scatter tomatoes on top. Drizzle oil on top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 25 minutes, till the potatoes are tender.
- Serve it hot with steamed rice.
- Celery is optional but it actually gives a very nice flavor to the dish and it’s very healthy too.
- If you don’t have red wine vinegar, you can use plain white vinegar.
- You can use raw potatoes but I recommend boiling the potatoes before hand so that the baking time is reduced otherwise it takes a long time to soften the potatoes.