Tomato Rice is a very simple one dish meal with a distinct tangy flavor of tomato, perfect for those days when you don’t want to make too many things yet enjoy a good meal.
|Preparation Time:||40 minutes|
|Basmati Rice||1/2 cup|
|Chopped Tomato||1 cup|
|Pureed Tomato||2 cups|
|Chopped Onion||1 cup|
|Fresh Coriander Leaves||1/2 cup chopped|
|Mustard Seeds||1 tsp|
|Haldi (Turmeric Powder)||1/4 tsp|
- Separate and discard the stems of fresh coriander. Wash the leaves and chop them finely.
- Wash and chop the onion, tomatoes and green chillies finely.
- Steam the rice. Let them rest for 15 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a wok. Add mustard seeds and cover the wok. Wait for mustard seeds to finish popping.
- Add chopped onion and kari leaves and saute for about 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Add haldi, green chillies, chopped tomatoes and pureed tomatoes.
- Once the mixture starts to boil, reduce the heat and cook till the tomatoes are soft and the water has evapotated.
- Add salt, boiled rice and chopped coriander leaves.
- Mix gently without mushing the rice.
- Turn off the heat. Tomato Rice is ready to serve.
- Make sure that the onions stay crisp to give a little crunch to the rice.
- Also the boiled rice should not be mushy.
- You can also add a tsp of pav bhaji masala to make it spicy.
- You can also add capsicum and crumbled paneer while frying tomatoes. Just make sure that capsicum stays crisp.