Tlayuda originates from the state of Oaxaca in Mexico. It’s commonly known as Mexican Pizza in other parts of the world. A large wheat flour tortilla is oiled and grilled with refried beans and cheese to make the main base. It’s then topped with a variety of vegetables, most common being lettuce or cabbage, onions, tomatoes, avocado, etc. You can pretty much top it with anything, serve it with fresh salsa and it will taste great.
|Preparation Time:||30 minutes|
|Refried beans||4 tbsp|
|Queso cheese||1/2 cup|
|Shredded lettuce||1 cup|
|Chopped tomato||1 medium|
|Chopped onion||1/2 medium|
|Pickled jalapeno rings (optional)||16 pieces|
|Vegetable oil||1 tsp|
|Mexican hot sauce (optional)||1 tbsp|
|Sour cream||1/4 cup|
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If using canned refried beans, heat it up in a nonstick pan and add some seasonings like ground cumin and smoked chilli powder.
- Chop all the vegetables finely.
- Smear the tortilla with a little olive oil at the bottom. Spread half of refried beans and top with half the cheese. There is no defined rule on the quantity, use as much as you want. If you don’t have queso cheese, use any other cooking cheese. Do the same with the other tortilla.
- Place the tortillas in a baking tray and into the oven. Bake till they are crisp at the bottom.
- Once crisp (about 5 minutes), take them out and top them with the chopped vegetables.
- Tlayuda – The Mexican Pizza is ready to serve with salsa and hot sauce.