Candied Orange is a popular sweet gifted around Christmas time. The orange and chocolate is a classic combination and you can’t go wrong with it. It is also a guilt-free sweet because of the goodness of the orange.
|Preparation time||70 minutes|
|Semi sweet chocolate morsels||1/3 cup|
- Cut the orange in about 3/4 cm thick slices. Remove the end slices.
- Boil about 4 cups of water. Once it starts to boil, turn off the heat and put orange slices in water for about a minute. After a minute remove the slices and drain the water.
- Repeat the previous step two more times to remove the bitterness of the orange peel.
- In a frying pan, pour the sugar and one and a half cup of water. Stir till sugar melts. Once the sugar melts, add the orange slices and turn the heat to low. Let it simmer. After a few minutes gently turn over the slices.
- Simmer the slices till they start to become translucent (about 60 minutes). Turn off the heat. Remove the slices gently and leave them on a wire rack to dry.
- They will be dry in a few hours. They may be a little sticky and that’s fine.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave for 30 seconds. Mix it and then again heat it for 30 seconds. Repeat this process till the chocolate melts and becomes smooth.
- There are two ways of coating the orange slices. You can just roll them in sugar on both sides or you can dip them in chocolate.
- Once the chocolate is dry, you can store these in refrigerator for a couple of weeks. Candied Orange slices are ready.