Kanji Ka Pani is a popular homemade drink which you will never find in any restaurant. So if you want to have it, you will have to make it yourself. Fortunately, it’s pretty easy to make. In North India, it is served on the festival of Holi.
|Preparation Time:||10 minutes (but it takes about 7 days to marinate)|
|Rai (fine mustard seeds)||1 1/2 tsp|
|Salt||1 1/4 tsp|
|Red Chilli Powder||1/4 tsp|
- Grind rai coarsely and keep it aside.
- Peel carrots and beet root. Cut them into long pieces (see pictures below). Keep aside.
- Add everything including the water, in a jar. Mix it well. Put a lid loosely on the jar. Because of fermentation, it should be able to breathe so you don’t want to seal it tight.
- Leave it in a sunny window for a week. Stir it once everyday. It will become really sour.
- Kanji ka pani is ready. Serve it chilled or at room temperature.
- You can skip beet root if you don’t have it but it gives the drink a beautiful bright color and it’s healthy.
- It starts to over ferment after 7 days, so store it in refrigerator after that.