Chole is a popular Punjabi curry, which can be eaten with bhature, rice, roti, tikiya etc. Out of all these, the Chole-Bhature combination is the most popular one. Children just love it.
|Preparation Time:||45 minutes|
|Chole or Chickpeas (soaked overnight)||1 cup|
|Finely chopped red onion||1 small (chopped 1/2 cup)|
|Pureed tomato||1/2 cup|
|Green chillies chopped (optional)||1|
|Coriander leaves chopped||To garnish|
|Ginger grated||1 tsp|
|Jeera (cumin)||1 tsp|
|Haldi (turmeric) powder||1/2 tsp|
|Red chillies powder||1/4 tsp|
|Dhaniya (coriander) powder||1.5 tsp|
|Amchur (dried mango powder)||1 tsp|
|Choti elaichi (small cardamom)||2|
|Tejpatta (bay leaves)||2|
|Dalchini (cinnamon stick)||1 inch piece|
|Kasoori methi (fenugreek leaves)||1/2 tsp|
|Black salt||1/2 tsp|
|Garam Masala||1/2 tsp|
|Tea bag (optional)||1|
- Soak chane (chickpeas) overnight.
- Cook in pressure cooker with 2 cups of water, salt and a tea bag. Tea bag gives nice dark color to chole.
- Once the cooker starts whistling, reduce heat and let it cook for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and bay leaves. Saute till cumin seeds puff up. Add ginger and onions. Saute till onions become translucent.
- Now add chili powder, coriander powder and mango powder. Saute for a few seconds.
- Add tomato puree and green chilies. Saute till oil starts showing. Turn off the heat.
- Heat fenugreek leaves in microwave for 2 minutes. Crush it to powder after it cools down. Add it to the tomato mixture.
- Add black salt.
- Open the pressure cooker after the steam dies completely.
- Mix chane into the tomato mixture and cook for 30 minutes on low heat. Add garam masala and mix. Turn off the heat.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and Chole are ready to serve. Serve it hot with Rice, Kulcha and Mashed Eggplant.
- If you don’t have time to soak chickpeas, you can use canned chickpeas but they don’t taste as good.
- If you have only a few hours to soak the chickpeas, put them in a thermos, fill it with boiling water and close the lid. in 3-4 hours, this will be as good as overnight soaking.
- You may have to fine tune the duration of pressure cooking because it depends on your pressure cooker. Basically the chickpeas should be pretty soft after they are cooked.
- After a nice lunch of Chole, Mukhwas is a must.