Kadhai Paneer is a popular North Indian dish for parties. Crisp capsicum gives it a very refreshing feel while paneer gives it a soft dairy flavor and makes it protein-rich.
|Preparation Time:||30 minutes|
Ingredients for dry masala
|Whole coriander seeds||2 tsp|
|Whole jeera seeds||1/2 tsp|
|Whole red chilli||1 – 2|
|Black peppercorns||1/2 tsp|
|Paneer (cottage cheese)||100 gm|
|Shimla Mirch or Capsicum or Bell Pepper||100 gm|
|Grated ginger||1 tbsp|
|Jeera (Cumin)||1/2 tsp|
|Turmeric Powder||1/2 tsp|
|Red Chilli Powder||1/2 tsp|
|Coriander Powder||1 tsp|
|Kasoori methi||2 tbsp|
|Vegetable Oil||2 tbsp|
- First we need to make the dry masala for the curry. Saute all the masala ingredients on low heat for about 5 minutes and grind them coarsely. Keep aside.
- Cut paneer, capsicum, 1/4 onion, and 1 tomato into one-inch cubes. Remove the middle portion of the tomato. Separate out the onion layers. Keep aside.
- Chop the remaining onion finely. Puree the remaining tomatoes.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil and butter in a wok and add bay leaves. Fry for a few seconds.
- Add cumin seeds and wait till they puff up. Add chopped onion and grated ginger and fry on medium heat until they start to brown.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, and coriander powder and saute till fragrant.
- Quickly add freshly blended tomatoes and saute till it starts to shine.
- While the onion and tomato gravy is cooking, saute the paneer and cubed vegetables. In a separate pan, first saute capsicum in 1 tbsp of oil because that is the hardest of all the 4 items. Keep stirring. Once they start to brown, add paneer and other cubed vegetables and saute till they start to brown. Keep aside.
- Once the onion and tomato gravy is fully cooked, add yogurt, salt, freshly made dry masala, kasoori methi and again saute until yogurt disappears.
- Now add sauteed paneer and vegetables. Mix gently and cook for a few minutes. If it looks too dry, add a bit of water.
- Kadhai Paneer is ready.
- You can use multicolored capsicums to make it even more attractive.
- Optionally you can add about 2 tbsp of khoya with the yogurt.
Based on 2 Review(s)