Choliye is a seasonal vegetable that you get in winters only. It’s actually young kale chane, when they are green. This is the curry recipe with potatoes.
|Preparation Time:||45 minutes|
|Potatoes (aloo)||2 medium size|
|Tomatoes||2 medium size|
|Jeera (cumin Seeds)||1/4 tsp|
|Haldi (turmeric powder)||1/4 tsp|
|Lal mirch (red chilli powder)||1/4 tsp|
|Dhaniya (coriander powder)||3/4 tsp|
|Garam Masala||1/4 tsp|
|Vegetable Oil||1 tbsp|
|Fresh coriander leaves to garnish||2 tbsp|
- Peel and wash potatoes and cut them in half inch cubes.
- Wash and puree the tomatoes, keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker, heat the oil. Once hot, add cumin seeds and wait till they puff up. Now add turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and mix for a few seconds.
- Now pour freshly pureed tomato in the cooker and cook till it becomes thick and shiny.
- Add choliye and potatoes to the cooker. Add salt and about 2 cups of water. Close the cooker and cook on high heat. Once it whistles, lower the heat and cook for another 7-8 minutes. Then turn off the heat.
- Open the cooker when steam dies down. Add the garam masala and mix. Choliye is ready. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve Choliye hot.
- It goes well with roti or rice.
- Choliye can even be prepared dry. Just use the same recipe but cook in a wok without the water.
- We can also use onions in the gravy.