One of my Bengali friends taught me this Lauki Posto recipe. Bengalis use poppy seeds with in many dishes like Bottle Gourd, Ridge Gourd, Potatoes etc. I love it because normal North Indian Lauki preparation is a very simple preparation, normally given to sick people so this recipe is a great alternative for preparing Lauki.
|Preparation Time:||30 minutes|
|Lauki (opo)||500 gm|
|Posto (poppy seeds)||1/2 cup|
|Turmeric Powder||1/2 tsp|
|Fresh Coriander Leaves to garnish||2 tbsp|
|Vegetable Oil||1 tbsp|
- Soak posto overnight and then grind it coarsely.
- Peel and chop lauki in 1/4 inch cubes. Keep aside.
- Chop green chillies finely.
- Heat oil in a wok and saute onion till they are light brown.
- Add ground posto, green chillies and fry for a few minutes.
- Now add turmeric powder and fry again for a few seconds.
- Then add lauki pieces and salt. Mix well and lower the heat.
- Cook it covered till lauki is soft but not mushy. Keep stirring every few minutes.
- Turn off the heat, garnish with coriander leaves and serve it hot with roti or parantha.
- Lauki is also known as bottle gourd and opo.
- You can prepare the ridge gourd exactly the same way.