Vegetable Upma is a popular South Indian snack, served with pickle. In this particular recipe the Upma itself is spicy so that you don’t need any pickle.
|Preparation Time: 20 minutes||Cooking Time: 20 minutes|
|Servings: 4||Difficulty: Easy|
|Rawa (Semolina)||1 cup|
|Red Onion||1 medium|
|Shelled Green Peas||1 cup|
|Curry Leaves||About 20|
|Pickle Masala||1 tbsp|
|Mustard Seeds||1 tsp|
|Vegetable Oil||1 tbsp|
- Peel and chop onion and potato finely. Chop tomatoes and green chillies finely.
- Heat oil in a non-stick and add mustard seeds. Wait till they stop splitting.
- Add onions, potatoes, curry leaves to the wok and fry for a couple of minutes. If using raw peas, add them at this stage.
- Lower the heat and cover it up. Cook for a few minutes till the potatoes are soft.
- Add peas, if using the frozen ones, tomatoes and cook it open for a couple of minutes.
- Mix lightly and add rest of the things.
- And combine everything.
- Add 3 cups of hot water.
- Cover the pan and cook till the water is all soaked up.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve Vegetable Upma.
- You can squeeze half a lime on Upma if you like.
- You can also add fried peanuts or cashews to Vegetable Upma.