Methi Malai Matar is a a rich recipe and tastes great. You don’t want to eat it too often because it has a lot of fat but it’s a great dish for a party.
|Preparation time:||1 hour|
|Fresh Methi Leaves||1 bunch (60 gm cleaned up leaves)|
|Frozen Matar (peas)||1.5 cup|
|Onion||1 cup chopped|
|Ginger||1 tbsp grated|
|Evaporated Milk||1 cup|
|Jeera (cumin) seeds||3/4 tsp|
|Dhaniya (coriander) powder||1 tsp|
|Red Chilli Powder||1/2 tsp|
|Haldi (turmeric) powder||1/2 tsp|
|Garam Masala||1/2 tsp|
|Vegetable Oil||1 tbsp|
- Separate methi leaves from the stems and discard the stems. Wash the leaves at least three times so that all the dirt is removed.
- Chop them finely. Sprinkle 1/4 tsp salt and keep aside for 15 minutes. This is to reduce the bitterness of the leaves.
- Chop the red onion and green chillies finely. Peel the ginger and grate it finely.
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a wok and add cumin seeds. Once they crackle, add onion and grated ginger.
- Fry till the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder and red chilli powder to yogurt and whisk it smooth.
- Add yogurt mixture to the onion mixture.
- Cook on low heat till ghee starts to separate.
- Add peas and green chillies and mix. Cover and cook for 5 minutes on low heat. Peas should become soft.
- Squeeze methi leaves to remove excess water and add to the wok. Add rest of the salt. Cover the wok and cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add cream and evaporated milk and cook till it thickens. Add garam masala and turn off the heat. Methi Malai Matar is ready.
- Serve Methi Malai Matar hot with Fried Rice, Puri or Parantha.
- Make sure to wash the methi leaves multiple times because they often contain a lot of dirt.
- You can add a tsp of besan in the yogurt mixture to prevent it from separating.
- You can use normal milk instead of evaporated milk. The advantage of evaporated milk is that it is already thick so you don’t need to cook it for a long time.