Jaini Ganth Gobhi is not a very commonly made vegetable. It’s a simple vegetable just like cauliflower or cabbage, just not that popular. It almost tastes like the stems of cauliflower. It has a very good crunch and a sweet taste if eaten as salad.
|Preparation Time:||30 minutes|
|Fresh Ganth Gobhi (Kohl Rabi)||3 medium|
|Freshly blended tomatoes||1/4 cup|
|Vegetable oil||1 tsp|
|Jeera (cumin seeds)||1/2 tsp|
|Powdered Methi seeds (fenugreek)||1/4 tsp|
|Haldi (turmeric powder)||1/4 tsp|
|Red chilli powder (lal mirch)||1/8 tsp|
|Dhaniya (coriander) powder||1 tsp|
|Garam Masala||1/4 tsp|
- Peel ganth gobhi and cut it in 1/2 cm thick pieces.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick pan and add cumin seeds. Wait till they puff up.
- Reduce heat. Add ground methi, haldi powder, chili powder, dhaniya powder and stir till fragrant.
- Quickly add kohl rabi, green chilli, salt and a tablespoon of water. Mix thoroughly and cover it with a lid. Let it cook till it’s soft (about 20 minutes). stir occasionally.
- Once ganth gobhi is soft, add blended tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Add garam masala and mix gently. Jaini Ganth Gobhi is ready.
- Serve it hot with Flat bread, Raita and Cheese with Peas.
- Peel it thick. Also cut off the hard part at the bottom.