Karonda is a very tart fruit. In childhood we used to love eating raw Karonde but now the only way I can eat is by making this Karonde Ki Sabji and eat it like a pickle 😉
|Preparation Time:||45 minutes|
|Pickle Masala||1/2 tsp|
|Jeera (cumin seeds)||1/2 tsp|
|Brown Sugar||2 tsp|
|Vegetable Oil||1/2 tsp|
- Wash and halve the Karonde and deseed them.
- Wash and chop the green chillies roughly.
- Heat oil in the wok. Add jeera/cumin and wait till they crackle and then add pickle masala.
- Now add chopped karonde and green chillies to the wok and mix.
- Reduce the heat and cover the wok and cook for a few minutes.
- Wait till the karonde are a little limp. Add sugar and wait till it dissolves. Turn off the heat. Karonde Ki Sabji is ready.
- Serve it as a pickle with other vegetables and roti.
- If you don’t have brown sugar, you can substitute it with regular sugar or even jaggery.
- It comes out very spicy because of the green chillies, so eat it with discretion.
- Karonde are also known as Carissa carandas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carissa_carandas), very rich in iron and vitamin C.