Aloo Baingan is a very simple vegetable made with potatoes and eggplants. Tomatoes add to the tanginess of the vegetable and peas give it a contrasting color. Most people, who don’t like eggplants, like this recipe.
|Cooking time:||30 minutes|
|Baingan (Eggplant)||1/2 big|
|Coarsely chopped onions||3/4 cup|
|Freshly blended tomatoes||1/2 cup|
|Chopped tomatoes||1/4 cup|
|Chopped green chillies(optional)||2-3|
|Coriander leaves chopped||1/8 cup|
|Kalonji (onion seeds)||1 tsp|
|Haldi (turmeric) powder||1/2 tsp|
|Red chillies powder||1/2 tsp|
|Dhaniya (coriander) powder||1 tsp|
|Garam Masala||1/2 tsp|
- Peel potatoes and chop them into half inch thick pieces. Wash potato pieces.
- Wash eggplant and chop it into half inch thick pieces.
- Heat a large nonstick pan and add one tbsp of oil. Add potatoes and fry till they are golden brown. Keep turning them over every once in a while. Keep aside.
- Repeat the same process for eggplant pieces. Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan. Add kalonji and wait till they puff up a little.
- Add chopped onion and fry just for minute.
- Now add turmeric powder, red chillies powder, coriander powder and mix.
- Quickly add baingan, potatoes, salt and mix thoroughly. Reduce heat. You can also add frozen peas at this time. Cover it with a lid and let it cook for 20-25 minutes. Turn over the pieces occasionally.
- When potatoes are almost soft enough to eat, add blended and chopped tomatoes and green chillies. Mix gently and cover the lid and cook for few more minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Sprinkle garam masala and mix gently. Garnish with coriander leaves and Aloo Baingan is ready to serve. Serve hot with Urad Dal, Rice and Roti.
- When adding eggplants to the frying pan, quickly mix it otherwise oil will be soaked by a few pieces and rest will be left dry.
- Add tomatoes when eggplant and potatoes are still not fully cooked so that they don’t become mushy. Do not try to make it without the tomatoes. It does not taste as good.
- If you don’t have kalonji, use cumin seeds instead. Kalonji adds a pickle like flavor but can be replaced by cumin seeds.
- I use the big eggplant in this recipe but you can replace it with small ones if you want.