Sandesh is a popular Bengali dessert made with cottage cheese and sugar. You can prepare many different variations just by changing the flavors and the type of sugar.
|Preparation Time:||20 minutes|
|Cottage Cheese||1 cup|
|Confectioner’s Sugar (Ground Sugar)||1/2 cup|
|Kesar (saffron)||A pinch|
- Prepare cottage cheese at home. Make sure that the cheese is soft. Drain the cheese for at least 4-5 hours so that it has no water. Squeeze it further to remove any remaining water.
- Crumble the cheese and add sugar and ground saffron to the cheese.
- Knead the mixture with the heel of the palm for about 10 minutes to make a smooth dough.
- If the dough becomes too loose, put it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
- Make small balls from the dough and give it any shape you like.
- Top each piece with pistachio or any other nut of your choice and serve it cold.
- Instead of saffron you can use some other flavor of your choice.
- In Bengal they sometimes use palm sugar to give it a different flavor.
- Since Sandesh is not cooked, I will strongly recommend making the cottage cheese at home instead of getting it readymade.