Pani puri is the most popular street food of India. In different states it is know with different names. Like in West Bengal it is known as Puchka. In Uttar Pradesh it is known as Gol Gappe.
|Preparation Time:||30 minutes|
Ingredients for pani puri water:
|Cumin seeds||1 tsp|
|Black Peppercorns||1 tsp|
|Black salt||1/2 tsp|
|Cream of tarter||1/2 tsp|
|Fresh lime juice||2 tbsp|
|Chopped mint leaves||1/4 cup|
|Chopped coriander leaves||1 tbsp|
Ingredients for puri:
|Boiled potatoes||1 medium|
|Garbanzo beans||1/2 can (7 oz or 1 cup)|
|Red chili powder||1/4 tsp|
|Green chatni||1/4 cup|
|Sweet tamarind sauce (saunth)||1/4 cup|
- Roast cumin seeds. Grind roasted cumin, peppercorns, salt, black slat, cream of tarter and mint leaves to a paste with little water. Mix this paste in rest of the water. Add lime juice. Adjust the spices as per your taste. If you want you can strain the water so that coarse spices are separated. Add coriander leaves to the water and keep aside
- Cut boiled potatoes in 1/2 cm thick pieces. Wash canned garbanzo beans thoroughly and drain.
- Mix potatoes, garbanzo beans, salt and red chili powder. Keep it aside.
- Make hole in a puri on one side. Fill it with 1 tsp potato and garbanzo beans mixture. Add a few drops of green chatni and a few drops of sweet tamarind sauce.
- Fill it with the prepared water and eat immediately.
- You can always replace cream of tarter with fresh lime juice.
- Replace fresh mint leaves with dried ones if you don’t have the fresh leaves. It also becomes easier to grind the ingredients if you use dried mint leaves.
- If you are in a hurry, get the ready made powder mix for panipuri-water available in Indian stores and use that to make the water.
- If you don’t have garbanzo beans, replace it with the boiled potatoes.