Chole/Chickpeas Kebab is an evergreen vegetarian kebab, which is also very simple to make.
|Preparation Time:||60 minutes|
|Boiled Chickpeas||1 cup|
|Paneer (cottage cheese)||1 cup|
|Boiled Potatoes||2 medium|
|Garam Masala||1/2 tsp|
|Chana Masala (optional, available in Indian stores)||1 tsp|
|Kasoori Methi (optional, available in Indian stores)||1/2 tsp|
|Red Chili Powder||1 tsp|
|Carom Seeds (ajwain)||1/2 tsp|
|Lime Juice||1 tbsp|
|Chopped Fresh Coriander Leaves||1/4 cup|
|Vegetable Oil||2 tbsp|
- Soak chickpeas overnight and boil in about an inch of water with 1/4 tsp of salt in a pressure cooker. Lower the heat when cooker whistles. Cook for 20 minutes and turn off the heat. Open the pressure cooker when steam dies down. Drain the chickpeas well.
- Mash the chickpeas coarsely.
- Grate the potates coarsely and add to the chickpeas.
- Add crumbled cheese and everything else to the mixture except the oil.
- Mix everything and make small patties of any shape.
- Heat a nonstick pan and add a little oil. Place a few patties on the pan and cook till they brown a little.
- Gently turn them over. Sprinkle a few drops of oil and cook till they are brown on the other side too.
- Gently scoop them out and Chole/Chickpeas Kebabs are ready. Serve them hot with a sauce of your choice.
- Drain the chickpeas well so that the dough is not too wet. If it gets a little wet, add a little corn flour to dry it up.
- Keep the size of the patties small to keep them more manageable because they crumble very quickly while cooking.
- Be a little gently while turning over the patties. They crumble very quickly.
- They also taste great just with some chaat masala sprinkled on top.
- Here is another variation of the kebab.