Chana Dal Vada is a nutritious snack from South India, which tastes good and easy to make too.
|Preparation time:||30 minutes|
|Servings:||30 small Vadas|
|Chana Dal||1 cup|
|Red Onion||1 large|
|Grated Ginger||1 tbsp|
|Chopped Coriander Leaves||1/3 cup|
|Red Chilli Powder||1 tsp|
|Heeng (asafoetida powder)||A pinch|
|Chaat Masala||1 tsp|
|Vegetable Oil||To fry|
- Soak Dal for at least 4-5 hours. Wash it in the running water till the water comes out clean. Drain dal in a sieve. Separate out about 1/3 cup of dal and grind the rest coarsely with minimum water.
- Now add the separated dal in the ground dal.
- Chop onion and green chillies finely. Grate ginger. Discard the stems of coriander, wash it thoroughly and chop it coarsely. Keep aside
- Mix everything except oil.
- Take a spoonful of batter in your palm and flatten it to make a disc shape. Keep aside and make a few more.
- Heat the oil in a wok for frying. Test it by dropping a pea size batter in the oil. If it sizzles and immediately browns up, it’s too hot. If the batter settles down and does not come up immediately, it’s cold.
- Once the oil is ready, drop a few vadas in the oil. Don’t touch them for a minute. They will puff up. Now turn them over. Fry till they are light brown. Should take about 3-4 minutes.
- Drain on paper towel. Chana Dal Vada is ready. Serve them hot with Green Chutney or Tamarind Chutney.
- If you are using mortar and pestle to grind the dal, make sure to whisk it so that it lightens up. If you don’t whisk it, the vadas will not puff up and will taste heavy and dry.