Green Chilli Pickle with Mustard is a very simple pickle with very few ingredients. Pickle gets ready in 2-3 days and can last for a few weeks. It is very similar to Nilon’s Green Chilli Pickle, with predominantly visible yellow mustard seeds.
|Preparation Time:||30 minutes|
|Long Thick Chilies||250 gm|
|Yellow Mustard Seeds||1 tbsp|
|Fenugreek Seeds||1/4 tsp|
|Turmeric Powder||1/4 tsp|
|Lime Juice||2 tbsp|
|Mustard Oil||3 tbsp|
- Heat oil in a pan till it starts to smoke. Turn off the heat and let it cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Coarsely grind yellow mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- Once the oil reaches the lukewarm state, mix the coarsely ground mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds in the oil.
- Wash and dry green chillies completely. Pickles don’t last if they have any water content. So make sure that the chillies are completely dry.
- Chop them in about half centimeter thick pieces.
- Take a dry clean bowl and add chilli pieces in it. Add all the leftover spices and lime juice.
- Now pour the oil with mustard and fenugreek.
- Mix thoroughly. Cover it with a muslin cloth and keep it in sun for at least 2 days. Don’t leave it out at night because dew could get in. Keep mixing two three times a day.
- Pour it in a clean and dry jar and enjoy.
- You can adjust the salt and lime as per your taste while mixing the spices.
- The pickle can be kept at room temperature for a few weeks. It could last even a little longer but the chillies lose their crispness.
- If you don’t have a muslin cloth, cover it with any kitchen cloth. The idea is to let it breathe a bit in the sun.