Lobhiya is a popular bean in North India and the preparation is very similar to Chole. It is mostly eaten as dal with rice and chapati.
|Preparation Time:||45 minutes|
|Lobhiya (Black Eyed Beans)||2 cups|
|Chopped red onion||1 small (1/2 cup)|
|Tomato puree||1 cup|
|Green chillies chopped (optional)||2|
|Coriander leaves chopped||1/4 cup|
|Ginger garlic paste||1 tbsp|
|Cumin (jeera) powder||1 tsp|
|Turmeric powder (haldi)||1/2 tsp|
|Red chilli powder (lal mirch)||1/2 tsp|
|Coriander (dhania) powder||1 tsp|
|Garam Masala||1/2 tsp|
|Amchur (dried mango powder)||1 tsp|
|Salt||1 1/2 tsp|
|Badi elaichi (big cardamom)||1|
|Kasoori Methi (Dried fenugreek leaves) – optional||1 tsp|
- Pick lobhiya to make sure there are no stones or dirt. Wash thoroughly.
- Cook in pressure cooker with turmeric powder and salt.
- Once the cooker starts whistling, reduce heat and let it cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Open the pressure cooker after the steam dies completely.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add onion and ginger-garlic paste.
- Saute till onions become translucent.
- Add cumin powder, chili powder, coriander powder, mango powder, cloves, cardamom and mix.
- Add tomato puree and green chilies. Saute till all the water evaporates and oil starts showing. Turn off the heat.
- Heat fenugreek leaves in microwave for 2 minutes. Crush it to a fine powder. Keep aside.
- Mix boiled lobhiya into the tomato mixture and cook for 5 minutes on low heat. Add garam masala and fenugreek powder. Turn off the heat.
- Serve Lobhiya hot with Rice, Flat bread and Mashed Eggplant.
- You may have to fine tune the duration of pressure cooking because it depends on your pressure cooker. Basically the lobhiya should be pretty soft after they are cooked.
- You can skip garlic if you don’t like it.
- Some people add pav bhaji masala to it to make it a little more spicy.