Vegetable Manchurian is the best Indo-Chinese recipe I have ever had. And depending on how you want to eat it, it can be served as a snack or as a side dish with the steamed rice.
|Preparation Time: 50 minutes||Cooking Time: 40 minutes|
|Servings: 30 balls||Difficulty: Easy|
Ingredients for manchurian balls
|Finely chopped carrots||2 cups|
|Finely grated cabbage||2 cups|
|Finely grated cauliflower||2 cups|
|Ground black pepper||1/2 tsp|
|All Purpose Flour||1/4 cup|
|Corn Flour||1/8 cup|
|Vegetable Oil||To fry|
Ingredients for gravy
|Sesame oil (or vegetable oil)||1 tbsp|
|Finely chopped ginger garlic||2 tbsp|
|Roughly chopped onions||2 medium|
|Soy Sauce||2 tbsp|
|Schezwan Sauce||2 tbsp|
|Vegetable Stock||2 cups|
|Corn Flour||1 tbsp|
|Onion Greens||To garnish|
- To make balls, mix all the ingredients for the balls except the oil, into a dough. Don’t add any water because vegetables have enough water to bind the mixture.
- Make walnut size balls out of the dough and keep aside.
- Heat the oil for frying. Test the oil by dropping a small ball in the oil. If it browns immediately, the oil is too hot. If the ball does not sizzle and sinks down, it’s too cold.
- Drop a few balls in the oil to fry. Don’t put too many at a time because the oil will cool down and balls will soak a lot of oil.
- Keep moving the balls in the oil for even browning. Take them out on a paper towel when golden brown.
- To make the gravy, heat a wok with a table spoon of sesame oil. Fry ginger-garlic in the oil.
- Once they start to brown, add roughly chopped onions and fry until they are limp.
- While the onions are being fried, mix corn starch in half a cup of cold water and keep aside.
- Add soy sauce, schezwan sauce, corn flour slurry and vegetable stock in the wok. Keep stirring till it starts to boil. Taste the gravy, if it requires salt, add some.
- Once the gravy starts to boil, add the fried balls and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Garnish it with onion greens or fresh coriander leaves and vegetable manchurian is ready to serve.
- You can prepare the balls ahead of time and store in refrigerator. You can even freeze the extra balls for future use.
- If you want to serve Vegetable Manchurian as a snack, don’t add the vegetable stock and it can be served as a finger food.