This is a simple and chewy French Bread recipe. It has soft texture and even crumb. You can always buy the bread from store but trust me when the fresh bread comes out of the oven, the whole house smells heavenly and the bread finishes in minutes.
|Preparation time||3 hours|
|All purpose flour||3 cups|
|Active dry yeast||3/4 tbsp|
|Salt||1 + 1/8 tsp|
|Warm water 105F||1 + 1/4 cups|
- Combine yeast, sugar and 1/4 cup of warm water at 105 degrees Fahrenheit in a big bowl. Leave it for 10 minutes to proof.
- Add remaining water, salt and 1.5 cups of flour. Incorporate it and then add the remaining flour. Knead for 10 minutes to make a silky smooth dough.
- Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and leave it at room temperature for 1 hour. Knead the dough a couple of times every 10 minutes to make it chewy.
- Spread the dough in a rectangle. Roll it up in a tight roll. Tuck in the two sides under the roll.
- Place the roll on a greased baking sheet. Grease a knife and make 1 inch deep 3 diagonal cuts on the roll. Brush roll with milk. Raise until double in size, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake the roll for 10 minutes. Then reduce the temperature to 375 degrees and bake for another 20 minutes. Rotate the pan half way through for even browning.
- Let it cool in oven itself if you want crispy crust by leaving the oven door open by 2 inches. French bread is ready to serve.