Raita is very often an after thought in any Indian meal but if you plan for it, you can actually get away with simple vegetable as an accompaniment and enjoy a lot of variety in your food. Spinach Raita is one such variation. It is also a great way of feeding spinach to kids. It does not taste or look like spinach yet contains all the nutrition of spinach.
|Preparation Time:||20 minutes|
|Spinach Leaves||100 gm|
|Plain Yogurt||1 cup|
|Vegetable Oil||1/4 tsp|
|Cumin Seeds||1/4 tsp|
|Heeng (asafoetida powder)||A pinch|
|Red Chilli Powder||1/4 tsp|
- Remove the stems of Spinach Leaves.
- Wash it multiple times so that there is no dirt. Cook in pressure cooker with half inch of water. Once the cooker starts whistling, turn off the heat.
- Open the cooker when steam dies down. Drain the water and grind spinach with very little water preferably on a grinding stone.
- Whisk yogurt with ground spinach and salt and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a small pan. Add heeng and jeera. Wait till jeera crackles.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add red chilli powder and mix the tempering to the yogurt. Spinach Raita is ready to serve.
- Spinach does not need to be very finely ground, a little coarse is just fine. Grind as much as you like.