South Indian Style Cabbage is a cabbage side dish with very few spices. It’s pretty quick to make because cabbage cooks pretty fast and it’s a great accompaniment to chapatis.
|Preparation Time||30 minutes|
|Chopped cabbage (patta gobhi)||2 cups|
|Chopped onions||1 cup|
|Dried whole red chillies||3-4|
|Mustard seeds (sarson)||1 tsp|
|Turmeric (haldi) powder||1/2 tsp|
|Dhuli Urad dal||1 tsp|
|Chana (Gram) dal||1 tsp|
|Grated fresh coconut||1/2 cup|
|Fresh cilantro leaves||To garnish|
|Vegetable oil||1 tbsp|
- Finely chop the cabbage and soak it in water for some time to get rid of the dirt.
- Coarsely chop the onion. Slit the green chillies lengthwise and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds stop spluttering, add the whole red chillies, urad dal, chana dal and saute for about 30 seconds. Don’t let them brown. Add the kari leaves. Be careful because the oil may splutter.
- Saute for another 30 seconds and add the chopped onions.
- Saute the onions till limp.
- Strain the cabbage and add it to the pan. Add turmeric powder and salt and mix well.
- Let it cook on medium heat till cabbage is limp but not mushy. Keep stirring once in a while.
- Add the finely grated fresh coconut and cook for a few more minutes until the cabbage and the coconut are fully cooked.
- Once the vegetables are fully cooked, turn off the heat and garnish it with chopped cilantro.
- South Indian Style Cabbage is ready to serve.