Gajar Matar is a very simple vegetable made in every North Indian household, especially in winters when the carrots and peas are locally available in abundance.
|Preparation Time:||40 minutes|
|Chopped Carrots (gajar)||2 cups (about 2 carrots)|
|Red potatoes (aloo)||1 medium (1 cup chopped)|
|Matar (shelled peas)||1/2 cup|
|Jeera (cumin seeds)||3/4 tsp|
|Haldi (turmeric powder)||1/2 tsp|
|Red chilli powder (lal mirch)||1/2 tsp|
|Dhaniya (coriander) powder||1 tsp|
|Freshly blended tomatoes||1/2 cup|
|Garam masala||1/2 tsp|
- Peel and chop carrots and potatoes in 1/2 cm thick pieces.
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a large nonstick pan. Add cumin seeds. Wait till seeds puff up and start to change color.
- Add potato pieces and fry till they start browning (about five minutes). Keep stirring for even browning. If you are in a hurry, you can skip this step and add potatoes along with carrots below.
- Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and stir till fragrant.
- Quickly add carrots, peas, salt and a tablespoon of water. Mix thoroughly. Reduce heat. Cover the pan and let it cook for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- When potato pieces are soft, add blended tomato and garam masala. Mix thoroughly. Let it cook covered for 5 more minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Gajar Matar Vegetable is ready. Serve hot as a side dish with Naan or chapati.