Sevainyan is a very simple dessert that can be made very quickly. It’s one of the oldest form of milk dessert made in North India.
|Preparation time:||30 minutes|
|Full Cream Milk||1 litre|
|Sevainyan (vermicelli)||1/2 cup|
|Kewra Water||1 tbsp|
- If the vermicelli is not already roasted, roast it till it’s light brown.
- Heat milk in a large thick bottomed pan. Keep stirring it otherwise it will stick to the bottom of the pan and get burnt.
- Once it starts boiling, reduce the heat to very low and add sevainyan to the milk. Stir and let it cook.
- Keep stirring it once in a while. Sevainyan will puff up a bit.
- Add sugar and kevra water in about 20 minutes. Mix well so that sugar dissolves.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool. Sevainyan is ready. Once at room temperature, store it in refrigerator.
- Garnish it with almond slices and serve it chilled.
- Once the milk boils, reduce the heat to the lowest possible. This reduces the chances of milk getting burnt.
- Please remember that Sevainyan thickens after refrigeration.
- You could use any other fragrance in place of kewra water. I personally prefer kewra water.